15 Best Stretching Exercises for Weight Loss
Having a toned body and flat tummy is not too hard if you set your mind to have it at any cost. You don’t have to spend too much time at the gym doing all the workout that you seem to hate.
Practice these stretching exercises for weight loss and have your flat and toned tummy in no time.
1. Wall-Supported Standing Quad Stretch
This pose will help you unlock your hip flexors.
- Stand near a wall so that you can hold on to it for balance support.
- Bend your left knee and catch your left foot behind you with your left hand.
- Pull your foot in the direction of your butt as you point your knee straight down towards the ground.
- Press your hips in the forward direction to create a straight line from your shoulder to your knee.
2. Double-Leg Curl
This exercise help stretches the hip flexors that cross your knee joint.
- Lie face down on your stomach.
- With both feet flexed, bend your knees so your feet come toward your butt.
- As a warm-up, hold for a while, then release, do 30 reps.
- As a cool down stretch, hold the curl for 30 seconds.
- Rest for a moment, then do two or three more sets.
3. Side-Lying Quad Hip Stretch
This yoga pose is one the best stretch for fat loss, it also helps as a hip flexor pose.
- Lie on one of your sides and prop yourself up with your bottom forearm.
- Keep your bottom leg rested and straight on the ground.
- Bend the knee of your upper leg and hold that foot with your hand.
- Press your hips in the forward direction.
4. The Bow
The bow pose is great for removing belly fat, tightening your abs and strengthening your core.
- Lie down facing the ground, keeping the legs straight, together and stretched out with your arms at your side.
- Bend your knees and reach your arms down to your ankles or feet, and hold the position for a few seconds.
- Inhale very slowly while lifting your head up, and then bend your head backward while lifting your legs as high as possible.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds if possible, while breathing slowly, in and out.
- Now exhale while moving back to the previous position, keeping your legs stretched out and your arms at your sides.
- Repeat the stretch five times, resting for 20 seconds in between.
5. The Chair
This is famous for strengthening the core muscles while toning the buttocks and thighs, you would love to add it to your daily stretching routine.
- Stand as straight and tall as possible, keeping your hands straight in front of you.
- Raise your hands above your head while bending the knees so that your thighs become parallel with the floor.
- Bend your torso slightly forward while slowly breathing.
- Hold this position as long as you can before slowly returning to the original, standing position.
- Repeat three to five times, taking a 15-second break in between each stretch.
6. Board Pose
The board pose is also great for burning belly fat, it also helps to strengthen the core and tone the arms, back, shoulders, thighs, and buttocks. You can also assume it as a morning weight loss yoga in bed. Avoid this one if you have a back injury.
- Start by placing your hands and knees under your arms and shoulders.
- Tuck your toes in and then put your feet back to extend your legs behind the body.
- Inhale slowly while staring at a point in front of your palms, keep your spine and neck aligned.
- Now tighten your abdominal muscles and hold the stretch, making sure your body is in a straight line, that your hands are flat on the ground, and your fingers are spread apart.
- Hold this stretch for 15 to 30 seconds, or longer if you can.
- Repeat five times, resting for 15 seconds between each.
7. The Tree
This pose is a total body stretch workout and is fabulous for strengthening abs muscles and toning the arms and thighs, though it should be avoided if you have a knee or back injury unless performed under the watch of a trained expert.
- Stand with your legs together, and then place most of your weight on one leg, with just a little weight on the other.
- Raise the leg with the least weight, and face your foot inward, toward the opposite knee. If you need to, hold your ankle to make it easier to pull your leg up.
- Place the heel of your foot onto the inner thigh of your other leg, keeping it as close to the pelvis as you can.
- Next, gently raise your hands above your head while making sure your fingers point to the ceiling.
- Keep focused, and try to maintain your balance. Staring at an object in front of you can help you keep your balance so that you don’t fall over – don’t try to hold onto a chair or the wall for support as it won’t be as effective.
- Breathe steadily, while focusing on the spot you’ve chosen, holding for 15 to 30 seconds, or longer if you can.
- Repeat three to five times, resting for 15 seconds in between.
8. Split Squat
This yoga workout for tight muscles works the calves, quads, and glutes while helping you to shed more fat.
- Stand with your feet about hip-width apart.
- Step your right foot about 12 inches in front of you.
- Curl the toes of your left foot under, keeping your weight equally between both feet, and then interlace your fingers. Place your hands underneath your ribs, pressing your shoulders down away from your ears.
- Tighten your pelvic floor muscles and then tuck your pelvis under and squeeze your glutes.
- Slowly bend both of your knees, coming down in three counts. You should feel a stretch along your left quad.
- Press into the floor, rising back to the starting position in three counts.
- Repeat four times and then switch legs and repeat on that side five times total.
9. The bridge
This pose is an excellent stretch for fat loss, toning the abs and thighs while strengthening the shoulders. It’s also said to help improve digestion and relieve menopause symptoms in women while stretching the neck and spine. It should be avoided if you have a back or neck injury.
- Lie flat on the floor and slowly inhale.
- Exhale slowly while pushing up and off the floor with your feet.
- Raise your body up off the floor, keeping your head and neck flat on the back, and the rest of your body up. Use your hands if you need to for support.
- If you’re flexible enough, try to clasp your fingers just below your back for an additional stretch.
- Hold for 30 seconds, and repeat, performing a total of five times.
10. Chair Hip stretch
This is a 30-minute yoga stretch and is a must for those that have to sit most of the day. It will not only help you keep your metabolism up to burn fatter, but it stretches your hips, waist, and back.
- Sit up straight in a chair, and then raise your hands up to the sky, stretching your abs out. Hold the stretch for about five seconds, release and relax.
- Raise your hands up again, this time, bending at your waist while collapsing your body to the right side.
- Continuing bending at your waist until reaching a comfortable position going as far as you can. Hold for five seconds, release and relax.
- Return to the original position, sitting up straight in the chair, and then perform the same stretch on your left side, holding for five seconds.
- Repeat three times on each side.
11. Seated Side Saddle Stretch
The stretch should be felt through the side of your trunk and somewhat in your back. This workout is best for saddlebags and cellulite.
- Sit on the floor with your legs in a wide straddle position.
- Adjust your legs so you can sit with an upright with your head aligned with your spine.
- Bring your arms to your sides with your elbows slightly bent so that your forearms are vertical to the floor.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and pull your shoulder blades down your back.
- Exhaling, slowly bends sideways, bringing the lowered elbow down to the hip, thigh or floor, depending on your range.
- Avoid rotating your trunk or bending forward.
12. Glute Bridge on Stability Ball
This pose can be the best stretch to get you shredded.
- Lying face up, bend your knees and place your feet on top of a stability ball.
- Holding the ball in place, push through your heels and raise your hips into the air by engaging the glute muscles.
- Rest on your shoulders and the upper back while keeping the body in a straight line from the knees to the head.
- Slowly lower the hips back down to the ground, keeping the ball still.
13. Supine Gravity Stretch
This pose works like a dynamic warm-up exercise for your whole body and is great for a 10 minute morning workout.
- Lie on a bed, high bench, or massage table on your back, with your legs hanging off the edge of the surface.
- Pull one knee in toward your chest, holding it with your hands, while you let the other leg hang down, knee soft, foot toward the floor.
- Hold for two seconds, then switch legs, going for 15 sets.
- Hold for 30 seconds on each side. Rest do two more sets.
14. The Cobra
This pose can help strengthen your abs muscles and is one of the best stretches to burn belly fat. It also helps to strengthen the upper body by building a more flexible, stronger spine.
- Lie down comfortably, allowing your stomach and forehead to touch the ground.
- Stretch your legs out and position your palms beneath your shoulders, keeping your elbows parallel. Your toes and chin should now be touching the floor.
- Take a slow to inhale and slowly raise your chest upward. Try to bend backward.
- Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds, depending on your strength level.
- Now exhale slowly and bring your body back to the original position.
- Repeat the stretch five times, resting for 15 seconds or so between each stretch.
15. Side Lunge
This exercise targets hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings. It is also one of the comfortable stretching exercises for older people to lose weight.
- Lunge your right leg to the side, until the knee is bent 90 degrees;
- Your left leg is extended towards the left side, your left foot is on the floor;
- Lean your upper body slightly forward;
- Hold this pose for 25-30 seconds and then switch sides.
Is Yoga For Weight Loss Helpful?
If your goal is weight loss, choosing one of the vigorous, flowing styles of yoga, such as Ashtanga, Vinyasa or Power Yoga, is the smart choice. These classes traditionally last 90 minutes, and can most definitely have a cardiovascular benefit. You will burn calories, tone and stretch your muscles, and provide weight-bearing exercise for your bones with these forms of yoga.
Is Stretching Good For Weight Loss?
The best thing about flexibility training is that you don’t have to do it very often or for very long to enjoy the benefits. Just a 20-minute stretch routine each day will help to improve the range of motion in your joints, help to decrease the risk of injury during exercise, and reduce stress. Consistency is important to boost your flexibility, but even if you participate in a stretching program 2-3 times per week, your body will feel better.
What Are The Benefits Of Stretching?
Flexibility exercises help to get your blood pumping, but not in a way that increases your adrenaline. Stretching and breathing exercises help to improve your mood and lower your stress level. Stretching helps keep your body in top shape so that you burn more calories during your workouts and you spend less time recovering from injuries or soreness.
Is It Good to Stretch every day?
Yes, it is, stretching is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle but is a part often skipped. Once the body is warmed up from exercise, the muscles are primed and ready for a full-body stretching routine. Not only does stretching help prevent workout injuries and keep muscle fibers more flexible and toned, but it also relaxes the body and releases tension.
Does Stretching Help Lose Belly Fat?
Stretching can help you burn fat faster. It may not burn as many calories as running or walking, but there are many easy stretches you can do right at home to burn fat, enjoy more energy throughout the day and feel younger too. They also help to build muscle, which in turn, revs up your metabolism to burn more calories all day long.